Monday, February 14, 2011

Gentle Hugs

When Presley walks into a playgroup or a room filled with children she is cautiously cautious. She watches from afar and observes her surroundings. She isn't shy, but she's not exactly "outgoing" either....she usually waits for the other children to approach her. A few weeks ago, we were at Gymboree and there was a little girl in our class who was 12 months old and doing a make up class from one of the snow days. She was the cutest little girl! She had big brown eyes and short brown hair. It was apparent that this little girl was very timid...a bit like Presley. ;-) For some reason, Presley was drawn to this little girl. She watched her very closely and couldn't take her eyes off of her. She followed her around and tried to talk to her a few times. At the end of class we do parachute time...usually a little intimidating for first timers! Anyhow, while all the kids were running underneath the parachute Presley walked over to this little girl (who had a worrisome look on her face) and gently gave her a hug. Of course, all of the moms melted and said, "ahhhhh." I was in tears (blame it on the baby hormones) because I have never seen Presley be affectionate to a total stranger...big or small. The other moms looked at me like I was crazy, of course. If anyone knows Presley then they know how attached she is to me and Joey and how rarely she reaches out like that. She is always loving on me and Joey, but she rarely hugs on anyone else. Sometimes she will love on her cousins and aunts, but never on complete strangers. Last week, Logan came over and she was very drawn to him as well. She leaned over and gave him a big kiss on the lips. ;-) Most children I see are fairly affectionate at this age. Little boys and girls are always trying to hug and kiss on Presley when we are at playgroups...which she doesn't usually like too much. After I saw Presley reach out with a hug to this little girl it made me so excited about her becoming a big sister in 8 months! ;-) I know, kind of a strange blog post ;-) BUT something that I would like to remember. ;-)

3 comments:

Sara G said...

What a wonderful post!! She is growing up! Happy Valentine's Day!

Karin said...

Made me cry, too! So sweet - she is going to be the best big sis ever!!

momofcooper said...

what a sweet heart! she makes me smile!