Thursday, September 9, 2010

Oh, The Drama!

So, yesterday Texas had some crazy weather...surprise, surprise. Anyhoo, after a few days of rain and an afternoon of flooding things began to slow down and clear up. However, by the late afternoon things began to pick up again and crazy weather started appearing out of nowhere! Of course, the local news and meterologists were having a field day with this! They were capturing everything on film...there were several tornadoes that touched down in the area and I am pretty sure that every single one was captured on film by the local news.
Now, we all know that the local news can over-exaggerate the tiniest thing. For instance, the last time we had a bad rainstorm they broke into regular television programming to show us what was going on outside and to explain what the local radar was showing. After a few hours, the storms passed and the rain lifted. However, the news continued with the coverage. I was quite annoyed, but even more annoyed when I heard these words come out of the mouth of one of the newsmen "if you look to the right of your screen you will see one of our downtown cameras. You can actually see that the rain is falling and reaching the ground!" Keep in mind, that he says this with the most alarming voice and puzzled look on his face...as if he has never seen rain reach the ground.??? I actually pressed the record button just so Joey could hear these words when he got home from work.
So...after this little episode last Spring, I decided that 80% of what the news relays to the public should be taken lightly and with little to no concern. However, yesterday was a little different because they actually had live coverage of these little tornadoes that kept touching down, lifting up, and then retouching again. Of course, I am a sucker for a great storm...especially when there are tornadoes involved. ;-) I get it from my dad! Anyhow, by 6:00 I was getting a little bored of all the coverage and began making dinner. Then, I heard of another tornado touching down just south of downtown Dallas. It had been on the ground for several minutes and was moving at 30 mph. I started thinking about Joey, but figured he was already on his way home. About five minutes later, the news said that the tornado had now been on the ground for over 5 minutes and it just jumped Trinity River and was heading towards Mockingbird Ln. About that time, Joey called. Insert photo here....

This would be the lovely view from Joey's office...notice that the brighter employees have already left work and this would be my reasoning for the empty car lot. Moments later the sirens went off and all of the employees were asked to head to the basement! So as everyone is rushing down and taking cover, Joey is on the phone with me (sirens blaring in the background) walking out the front doors of his office building. I, in the mean time, am telling him that the tornado has already been on the ground for several minutes and is heading towards Mockingbird Ln (1.5miles from his work). To which he responds, "oh, good....that's ok, I can outrun it." Seriously??? Who says that......well, besides me??? :-) Now granted, it was a small tornado and Joey was driving in the opposite direction of it, but still.... There's no doubt in my mind that he still would have left and tried to outrun it even if it is was staring him dead in the face. I know this because last year we had a little episode where my sister, Elizabeth, called us telling me that there was a tornado on the ground a few miles from our house. As I was talking to her on the phone, a huge wind came and all I see is our tree in the front yard toppling over. Of course, I grab for Presley (she was 2 months) and run into the bathroom with the dogs while my husband runs outside to "see what it is." Such a man and this is what I live with.
And you wonder where my child gets her dramatic attitude from....*sigh*

No comments: