Saturday, June 11, 2011

Father's Day Frame


I made this frame for Joey last June for Father's Day. Since then, I have had many people ask me how I did it. And since Father's Day is just around the corner I thought I'd repost! It was rather simple actually, it was just very time consuming. It's also a bit hard to explain if you aren't familiar with Photoshop Elements or digital scrapbooking, but here is how I made the frame...
1-I bought the wood square frame at Michael's for $1
2- I painted the frame (front,back, and side) black
3- I printed out about 40 black and white photos measuring 1in. x 1in., and 4 large black and white pictures measuring 2in x 2in. (I used a regular printer, and printed the photos onto regular paper, but you could use actual pictures if you wanted)
4- I cut out each picture using an exacto knife
5- I used Mod Podge to paste down the pictures (I used tweezers to help place the smaller pictures down)
6- I waited about 60 minutes for the Mod Podge to dry and then brushed a thin layer of Mod Podge over the pictures...be careful to use a very thin layer because the pictures will smear.
7- (optional) the center photo is a digital scrapbook page I created using Photoshop Elements 6. I wanted the picture in the middle to "pop" to give it a 3D effect. So, I took a piece of cardboard measuring 3in x 3in, painted it black, and then super glued it to the center opening on
the front of the frame. Then, I mod podged the photo to the piece of cardboard and brushed a thin layer of Mod Podge over the front of the photo.

NOTE: **I used Photoshop Elements 6 to create the 1x1 inch and 2x2 inch photos. If you are familiar with digital scrapbooking and creating templates then this should be the easiest way to convert your pictures to BW, crop your photos down to size, and print them.
**I also used Photoshop Elements 6 to create the center picture. I created a "new file" that measured a standard picture size of 4x6. Then, I created a 3in x 3in. mask and re-sized one of my scrapbook pages to fit. I sent it off to Walgreens to be printed off as an actual picture and then just cut out the 3in x 3in part.


I Can Teach My Child

2 comments:

Jenae said...

What a cute idea! Thanks for sharing!

Karin said...

So lovely!