Friday, August 13, 2010

The River of Not So Much Love, The Carousel of Un-Happiness, and Buffalo Bill's Ice Cream

I love the mountains and I love rivers...so much so, Joey and I actually stayed in a cabin in Oklahoma called The River of Love last January. While we were in Colorado we went up into the mountains and visited Nederland, Colorado. We planned on going fishing, but that proved to be a little difficult with a 15 month old running around...especially one that refuses to be held for more than just a few minutes and is fearless of the water. Presley wanted to get into the river every second. She would put her feet in and then start crying because it was too cold, but then she would cry when I lifted her up out of the river...it was a constant battle. I tried to redirect her attention to all of the lovely rocks surrounding her, which seemed to work for a few minutes, but she was set on getting into the water.

While we were walking along the edge of the river, she decided she would get close enough to reach down and touch the water...which lead to her falling in. Not to worry, it was in a very shallow area. She actually fell down and then fell forward and got her entire body wet without going under...that's how shallow it was. Needless to say, she was freezing and quite upset with her mother for allowing such a traumatic incident to happen to her beloved child.
After I got her dried off and changed, we headed up to the town of Nederland. There is a 100 year old carousel in the center of town that my dad had heard about and we decided to visit it. All of the animals on it were hand carved and unique. Presley didn't quite know what to think about the carousel. The first time she went on one she loved it! Then, a few months ago Sara and I visited a carousel in one of the malls near my house and Presley hated it. It went really fast and Presley shook in fear the whole time we were on it. It was awful! Sara was still pregnant with Grant and we were all dizzy when we got off. Presley acted the same way when I placed her on this 100 year old carousel. My dad suggested that I put her on one of the animals that stood stationary...So, that is what we did. :-) She was still a little unsure, but she looked around and seemed to at least tolerate the ride.

Apparently, I think it's the Carousal of Happiness...lol


After the Carousal ride, we went across the street to an ice cream shop called Buffalo Bills. It was located inside an old train and caboose. I'm not a fan of ice cream, but Presley loves it.
All of my nephews would have loved this little area ;-)

No comments: