Saturday, December 18, 2010

The Shaggy Red Rug

 Sadly, I am sitting on the couch looking at my daughter in the monitor as she cuddles away with her stuffed Elmo that I am guilty of buying for her yesterday afternoon.  I say this because I can't stand Elmo. I don't know why? There really is no rhyme or reason for my dislike. I am just completely and utterly annoyed by him...his voice, his color, the way he looks...pretty much everything about him.  I feel about Elmo the way most feel about Barney. I actually don't mind Barney too much...oh, who am I kidding? He bothers me too, but the shaggy red rug bothers me more. I even made it a point to never allow my child to watch him on tv. Anytime we watched Sesame Street I would turn it off as soon as the red shaggy rug showed his face.  As much as I don't like Elmo, one would never think so by the attire in Presley's  bathroom.  Let's just say, options are limited when you are looking for a bath mat at target! Anyhow, a few weeks ago while we were shopping, we passed by a stuffed Elmo in Toys R US. All of a sudden, out of nowhere, my child yells out, "Elllmo." You can imagine the horror I felt as we passed by 10 stuffed Elmos in a row and all I could hear was, "elllmo, elllmo, elllmo" coming from the mouth of my sweet little girl. I was flabbergasted...WHERE, HOW, WHO? For 2 grueling weeks, I tried to find the culprit. Then, FINALLY, a few days ago while Sara was visiting I figured it out. I was in the middle of explaining my Elmo dilemma when all of a sudden I heard, "na-na-na-na...na-na-na..it's Elmo's world."  I swung my body around, only to find a tiny blue phone sitting all by itself in the middle of Presley's room. Presley loves phones and she loves to talk on them. If there's no phone in sight then she will make do with whatever is in her hand. Yesterday, she improvised and used a french fry to do her phoning on. So, WHO is the culprit that snuck this shaggy red rug into my house? Great Granddad and Barb...they are the ones that are guilty of giving my sweet little girl this fancy little talking Elmo phone last year for Christmas. grrrr. Be afraid....be very afraid!

Fast forward to today. I broke down and bought my child an Elmo yesterday afternoon....for reasons I will discuss one day, but not today! ;o) Last Sunday we had our "Home Team" Christmas party. When we picked up Presley from the babysitter's house she was sitting on the couch watching an Elmo movie. The babysitter said that Elmo was the ONLY thing that got her to stop crying! WHAT? This can not be! ugggg. Then, on Thursday, while we were checking out at the grocery store Presley looked up and saw a huge Elmo balloon hanging above the cashier lane. My daughter kept repeating herself saying, "Elllmo, Elllmo, Elllmo." The cashier looked at me and I looked at him because neither one of us saw an Elmo...great, no there's Elmos running around in her head. Finally, we both looked up and saw a huge Elmo floating above the register. grrrrr.  So like I said, I bought Presley an Elmo yesterday afternoon. She does everything with it...she eats with it, feeds it, slides with it, and now (much to my dismay) she sleeps with it! I even woke up to the sounds of my darling daughter calling out, "elllmo, elllmo, elllmo" over the baby monitor this morning. This evening she dropped "bear bear" (her lovey) on the floor and picked up Elmo to sleep with! AND NOW, sadly, SHE IS CUDDLING with him. ;-( My fault...'tis true. ;-( Oh well, "my name is Becca and I'm an elmophobic."

...who wouldnt' be? just look at the photo of him above! How is that NOT scary to little kids...he's frightening!

6 comments:

Karin said...

Dude! How can you not like Elmo? He's awesome and was Micah's favorite for soooo many years! We watched Elmo in Grouchland like 10,000 times...I could quote the movie in my sleep! And we had Tickle Me Elmo, Dancing Elmo and like 2-3 others. He had a mini Elmo that he slept with at night and a HUMONGOUS Elmo that he and Nathan played with for hours at a time.

I'm sorry you have monster-phobia but she picked a good one - other than Cookie Monster or Grover, there's no one better and what a good mom to let her love Elmo in spite of your own feelings.

becca said...

You know what's funny? The whole time I was writing this I was thinking that you couldn't stand Elmo either and then by the end I remembered that you loved him!!! Lol. I knew you'd you comment about him :-) tee hee!! Now, I do LOVE Grover and cookie Monster...Big Bird? Mmmm, not so much :-p

Elizabeth said...

Oh my.....the drama of it all. Who knew you had it in you??? lol. Too funny, Becca!

merritt said...

I'm not an Elmo fan, either. But isn't it funny how kids can get attached to something suddenly? Finn's got a big rhino that he likes while I was hoping he'd just want a small taggie blanket (less bulky for me to lug around!). Oh well. Kids win this battle, and that's okay.

momofcooper said...

this post cracked me up something horrible!! LOL i am not a fan of the shaggy red rug either! LMBO!!!! i have never heard him refered to as that, but it is totally cracking me up!!

Hetty said...

We LOVE Elmo!!!! I couldn't get the Elmo craze until I was a mom. Ken sings like Elmo. Liv loves Elmo. I love Elmo. Before Olivia, I was sure that Elmo and Barney were both running for the seat of the ANTI CHRIST! Now---we love Elmo and we LOVE Sesame Street.

Glad that you finally joined the club-willing or not-we will still send you a free T-Shirt! :P