
Keep in mind that it requires a great deal of discipline.
But, when I think through all the reasons why I should pray for my kids, I come to the conclusion that it is worth it. This is a goal I will keep this year.
Here are a few reasons why:
- Prayer is eternal.
- I can't do this parenting role alone.
- Writing out prayers causes me to be more thoughtful and deliberate as I pray.
- It reminds me of to Whom my child belongs.
- If I'm a mother who is not on my knees, I am failing.
- Prayer is a privilege. God wants to hear from me.
- My children will be forever marked because I prayed.
- Prayer makes everything sacred. That "great deal" on shoes wasn't just a good deal or a coincidence, but God answering prayer and providing for a need.
- The written word is powerful and this journal will leave a legacy for my kids.
I divided my journal into four sections: AIM, Spiritual Inventory, Prayers, and Memories.
- AIM (12 pages, update once a month): List 3-5 character qualities you are aiming to produce in your child's life with active steps to take and Scripture to pray to make these a reality.
- Spiritual Inventory (24 pages, update once a month): Write down your child's strengths in all areas (physical, spiritual, social, intellectual). Then, write a list of weaknesses. Write down observations as well (Ex. your child seems nervous about school). This will help you know your child. Last, write down some applications that you can do to develop your child into who God wants him or her to be. Enhance the strengths and help him or her overcome the weaknesses.
- Prayers (half of remaining pages): Written prayers from the Word. Use the prayers of Moses, David, Hannah and others as models as you learn to pray for your child. Or, let your quiet time reading lead to prayers for your children. Look for qualities that honor God and ask him to build those traits in your child's life. You could also compile a list of Biblical virtues with verses to use as prayer starters (understand God's love--Eph. 3:18-19; thankful--Eph. 5:20).
- Memories (last half of remaining pages): Cute sayings, observances, pictures, holiday traditions/celebrations, monthly memories, etc. This will be like a monument marking memorable events and milestones of your child's life. It will help the child remember over and over again God's grace and goodness in their lives.
When I broke my journals into these sections, I felt like it was less overwhelming. Several sections I only write in once a month, but it ensures that I am evaluating my children, building character, and praying for them. My goal is to complete one journal a year for each child.
As my children get older, these prayer journals will be great gifts for them to receive and read through. I want them to know that their mama prayed for them. I want to be a mama who is on my knees for my kids.
http://breezyacresfarm.blogspot.com/2011/01/2011-goals-prayer-journal.html


1 comment:
i absolutely LOVE this idea! i think i'm going to give it a shot myself! i think it would be awesome to have with me at all times & for cooper when he's older!! thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment