I found this awesome website the other day. I forget where or who I found it from, but it's great! It's called slimybookworm It's an online bookstore filled with titles for children 0-12 years old. It also has parenting books and toys based on popular children’s books characters. The best thing about this book store is that it is committed to improving literacy in children and cultivating lifelong Readers. It donates 20% of it's profits to fund literacy in the inner cities of the US and oversees. There is free shipping on orders over $45.
Have you ever seen a product and thought to yourself, "now, why didn't I think of that!" You know, kind of like the Snuggie. Well, here are a few of those products that I have come across through different blogs....
The Puzzle Pod
The Kiddie Catch All
Little Bits
Easy Lunch Boxes
These are, of course, just a few. I am sure that there are thousands of trinkets and gadgets that would fall under the, "now, why didn't I think of that" category. ;o)
Is anyone else bothered by the program Your Baby Can Read? It should be called Your Baby can memorize. This program bothers me because the children are not actually reading, but rather memorizing. I seriously doubt that a 6 month old who has memorized the word feet and then points to his feet would be able to read or even recognize another word in the same word family...like sheet. I also doubt that a 2 or 3 year old who recognizes the word pillow would be able to to read the word window. Of course, memorization or memorizing books is considered to be an early reading skill so I guess this program would benefit children in early reading skills, but I don't think that it focuses on developing reading strategies or skills of any kind. I don't doubt that a few of the children are able to read at age 3 or 4, but I think that that can be attained through a variety of reading programs and by just reading one-on-one with your child. Even Presley has memorized certain words or parts of a book (especially rhyming books) that I have been reading to her since she came home from the hospital. I don't know, just a random thought of mine. ;o) tee-hee
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
You tell em, you teacher you!!
Tee-hee...can you tell I watched a lot of television last week while I sat on the couch sick! Poor Presley was babysat by Sprout tv! Eeek! However, with that came that stupid commercial every 5 minutes!!!!! I got so annoyed ;-p
Post a Comment