Monday, July 19, 2010

Memorable Music

My mom and grandma after one of her children's choir performances
Growing up, my mom played the organ at our church. She started playing at a young age and played for my grandpa’s church when he was a pastor. She played the piano as well, but the organ was always her baby. At our church, you would often find her sitting on the second row on the right side. She would always take her shoes off when she played and I never understood why until one day she so graciously signed me up to play a piano solo for everyone. ;-/ I must admit, it is much easier to play when shoeless. My mom so desperately wanted me to learn to play the organ, but it was just never meant to be. I tried, but I was absolutely no good at it. I never could figure out how one could get their feet and hands to play at the same time. After my mom passed away, that old organ sat in the church for several months…looking a little ghostly if you know what I mean. My dad finally told our pastor to remove it…by that time, our church had moved on to a full musical band and so there was no need for an organ anymore. My mom loved music and created a children’s choir at our church when I was little. She was always involved in music. When Elizabeth and I were growing up she would buy us records to play on our record players. We used to open our windows and sit out on the ledge listening to Burt and Ernie’s Sesame Street Time. There are several records and songs that pop into my mind when I think of my childhood. Last week, I came upon an oldie but Goodie…The Music Machine! Tell me you’ve heard of it! It’s related to the album, Bullfrogs and Butterflies.I am in desperate need of buying these cds. I would love for Presley and her cousins to have these songs to listen to. They have stuck with me for years!!! Anyhow, there is a song called Have Patience. I actually found myself singing it to Presley when she was a baby because she used to cry while I was preparing her bottle. I would sing this song which is what lead me to go searching for the cd online.

No comments: