OK...so this post is more for myself than anyone else. As a first time mom, I can honestly say that every time my child does something for the first time it always seems so spectacular. Now, I know that most first time moms feel this way but I have yet to figure out this awkward phenomenon. I think it might be because, at this age, we still consider them babies and the experience of labor is still fresh in our minds. Before labor, I was almost sure that the kicks I so often felt in my stomach were actually just "really bad gas"...hey, it was better than feeling as if you had an alien inside of you! Of course, after labor, I soon realized that that bad gas was actually the doings of a tiny baby. I remember getting home with Presley and just looking at her and thinking to myself, "ummm, now what?" Well, somewhere along the way, I figured out the "now whats" and this little baby of mine has grown into an actual little person. I absolutely love experiencing all the little "first times" in Presley's life. One of the many reasons I love being a stay at home mom. :-) So what exactly did Presley do today that made me think that I have the most spectacular child ever created? Nothing! Just kidding, but before I go on about this spectacular event let me just set the stage for you. Since Presley was a baby I have been doing sign language with her. She caught on to some of it, but would only do it occasionally. It was more of a pain than anything because I could not get her to mimic the signs I made. However, I continued to use sign language along with the words I said. As she has grown up, she has tried to mimic the words I say rather than the signs. I decided not to push her, but to just continue using signs along with the words to see what might come of it. There are two things that drive me nuts...one, Presley will throw her cup on the ground when she is all done, and two, she whines when she wants more food. These two things lead me to continue with the sign language. She would use the "more" sign occasionally, but would never use the sign for all done. She now knows how to say all done, but she rarely says it when she's actually finished eating. Today, I was in the back room cleaning up while Presley was eating her lunch in the kitchen. All of a sudden, I heard the cup hit the floor and I walked into the kitchen, aggravated of course, and asked her if she was all done. She then looked at me and gave me the more sign! I could not believe my eyes! I grabbed her cup of milk and gave it back to her, but she pushed it away and said "teka teka teka." This is what she says when she gets frustrated. Everyone in my family refers to it as chinese jibber-jabber. After she pushed the cup away, I grabbed some veggie sticks and asked her if she wanted some...lo and behold, she gave me the more sign! I could not believe my eyes! I have been trying to get her to do this on her own for months and she is finally starting to use it...and with a purpose! My older sister, Elizabeth, used sign language with Corbin and my little sister, Sara, used it with Reid...but he doesn't count because he can do everything and anything! lol...j/k Sara. I really don't know why I was so amazed because I know that babies use it all of the time and I have seen just about every mommy friend of mine use it with their child, but for some reason I was just overjoyed at the fact that my child communicated with me. ;-) Again, I have no idea why we first time moms think everything our child does is so spectacular...we all know that they are just growing and doing what ALL babies do. Oh well, I will enjoy it while it lasts because I have heard that things are different with the second, third, fourth, fifth...Not that we will be having 5 kids or anything. :-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment